Sunday, July 25, 2010

What I haven't talked about ...

I haven't talked about racism here.

I haven't talked about living with 16 other people, just thrown together on Day 1, and suddenly they are your family.

I have talked about the fact my blow dryer went ka-put on Day 1, and I haven't bought a new one, and now, because my hair is always wet or damp, my barrettes are rusting on the inside.

I haven't talked about apartheid, or what remains of that.

I haven't talked about South African men and their wandering eyes.

I haven't talked about the music, which seems to creep into my ears, then down into my heart, then into my soul.
 
I haven't talked at all about mushroom cream sauce.

I haven't talked (much) about being a white woman in a black community.

I haven't talked about being in a room or a grocery store or somewhere and looking around and realizing that I am the only white person there.

I haven't talked much about how much I miss my family, most especially Jim.

I haven't talked much about the guard dogs, two doors down from this house, that often bark in the night, and how scared I get because it sounds as if someone is trying to break into this room at night.  It is mostly the wind, but how does one know??

I haven't talked about how some of the simple pleasures I take for granted at home, like having my own care at my disposal, I don't have that here.  I have to rely on the LEAP School to take us here or there, or pay for a taxi, or go on the train, which is supposed to be dangerous.

I haven't talked about the starving dogs in Kalkfontein.

I have talked little about the incredible amount of trash there is here.

Any I probably won't.  I have no idea how to even start a post on racism or apartheid.  Each issue is in my face every, single, day.  Even though apartheid ended 15 years ago, the legacies are in my face every day.  The energy to do that post is, most days, just too much for me.

So for now, I will just continue to not talk about this things.

No comments:

Post a Comment