Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Talfalah Institute

Early yesterday morning, Steve called my cell phone. Of course, I didn't know it was Steve because my phone doesn't save names and contacts too well, nor could I answer my cell phone because when I do, I can't hear the other person, but I have memorized Steve's number so knew he was trying to get ahold of me.  We had a meeting scheduled at 11:00 to go see a new library that was being built - much like the one at Lavendar Hill, except this one was at a primary school. 

I got to the LEAP School a little early, to have a chance to chat with Papa Chris and tell him about our trip to Lavendar Hill.  Instead, I found the parking lot filled (three cars) with people filling their cars with boxes and stacks of books. Steve said he had called me because he was sure that I would have wanted to watch the action - a new shipment of books had arrived, and teachers, principals, and librarians had arrived to stake claim.  Steve compared the sight to a flock of vultures swooping in.

As is happens pretty much daily, there was some form of communication between Papa Chris and the lady in the red Prius, and Papa said that was our ride, have fun.  We piled into the car, admidst the books.

Today or destination was Sherwood Park, and to get there we would need to drive through Menenberg.  Menenberg is a higly volitale area, a black township, with one of the highest crime rates in the area.  Gangs are active, even in the broad daylight, and the driver of our car refused to drive down the main road of the township because she didn't want to be dead.  Instead, we took the long way around eventually arriving at the Talfalah Institute.




Talfalah Institute first opened their doors in 1912, at a location not too far from this one.  They have been here for 35 years. This is a view of the main quad of the school - there are three more just like this.  The school has an enrollment of 1,036 students and 26 teachers (you can do the math.)  While the school is housed in a government building, the school is a private Muslim school.  There is not one child to be seen while classes are in session.




We met Eb Shridian.  Eb is studying at the University of Cape Town to get her librarian certificate as she has been designated to be the new librarian.  She attended University years ago to get her Teaching Certificate.  She told us that it is a lot of work to go to school two nights per week from 6 - 9, and that her husband needs to be compassionate about it because she is tired at the end of the day.

We asked how Eb had become aware of Papa Chris and The Bookery, and there was a complicated tale about Randall and the programs he offers in schools, and his connection with Chris.  Before they knew it,  Eb and the other teachers were sorting through books in the containers, well on their way to filling their library.

Unlike the Lavander Hill library, there is no real system to how the books are put on the shelves.  A John Grisham novel was placed right next to the Max Mayer book "There is a Nightmare in the Attic" (a family favorite to be sure.)  But there is good intent.  As i have already mentioned, the South Africa Department of Education will not provide one dime towards libraries.  As was the case in Lavandar Hill, this will be the only library in the township.

As honored American guests, we were served snacks and tea.  That is milk-based tea, served steaming hot.  The snacks on the left, I didn't get the name of them, but Subina called them "Laying Sisters."  On the right are Dolchi, or Pakooras, made in the school kitchen.




Of course, that meant that we needed to go and look at the school kitchen, expecting a regular, full-sized kitchen to serve 1,036 students. Instead, we found ..... a couple of hot plates and some really LARGE pots.

Soup or Sump Beans are made every day, along with the snacks you see above.  








You know, School Lunch Ladies look pretty much the same the world over.  The Head Cook is in the orange.











We visited many of the classrooms.  Note the differences between this school and Crossroads, where Steve and I went to visit back a couple of weeks ago.










And of course, the ever-present concertina wire ....




 




I am not entirely sure what our function in viewing the school was, except for curiousity about the full circle of The Bookery.  I have a new appreciation for Rotary International who is at the base of the entire book/library project here in South Africa.  And as someone that grew up almost living in the Martinez Public Library, I can certainly understand what the principal and Eb are trying to do in getting the library open.  But as for me and my tasks through Teach with Africa, I don't know what they were expecting of us.

I also worry that with three weeks left, that time is short on the projects that I do need to complete, or at least make progress on.  I have reconciled myself to the fact that work here will NEVER be done, and I need to be selective in my top priorities.

Three weeks and counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment