Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Black, white, and colored

People, that is. 

The other evening, we were watching a South African comedian on TV.  He made the comment that South Africa is the only country in the world where you can call someone "colored" and have it be ok.  I know that it is even making me uneasy to write the word.

I have been having a difficult time sorting out who is who here.  Black townships?  White areas?  Colored areas?  What the heck?

Today, during a long drive, Randall (who was kind enough to drive Subina and I) gave me a pretty clear description.

Blacks are that - black.  Pure black down through the generations.
White are that - white.  Same thing - pure.
Coloreds are mixed race people, or people of Hispanic, Asian, Indian descent.  Randall is a Colored Person (oh, I am sorry, sorry, it just pains me to write this).

Maybe it was a clear explanation, or maybe my brain just choose to accept these terms today, or maybe we have driven around Cape Town enough times that I am getting a sense of the different parts of town.  Langa, Guguletu, Kalkfontein, Kialetche, Muzinberg - those are all Black Townships.  White people live in Pinelands, Bishops.  Colored people live in the Observatory area. ****

(*** I know it is more complicated than that, but this is something my brain can grasp)

I don't think I will feel any more comfortable using the term, and I actually haven't said it outloud yet, but at least I understand what people are talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment