Wednesday, July 7, 2010

BAH!! Technology

Let it be said, I am irratated.  Since the day I left the States, each day one piece of technology (if not all of them) have been on strike.

First, on Day 1, my hair blow dryer shorted out.  Even though I used the heavy electrical current transformer that Jim bought for me and I hauled all the way here, the dryer started to smoke minutes after turning it on, and fizzling out seconds later.  From this, I have had wet hair for the last 18 days.  In the winter.  No wonder I am cold.

Then, we had difficulty with the converters - I didn't bring enough of them (I brought two and could have used four), except that we only have two outlets in our room.

Once that obstacle was overcome (buy more converters), my camera battery wouldn't charge, my beloved Blackberry went dead, my first wireless mouse went dead, the South African cell phone wouldn't charge and went dead, then the BB came back to life, and the ipod went dead, and so on.

Every. Single. Day.  something.

And I bet you all are wondering what it is today???
.
.
.
.
.
.

My camera.  We drove out to the Kalkfontein Township and was visiting a woman who runs a tiny medical clinic from her shack house (more on that trip later, no tangents today.) When our meeting was done, I went outside to the sand "street" to take some quick photos.  The children playing in the dust outside of her front door, the dogs lounging in the sun, the community that she lives in, all were screaming for me to photograph.  A couple of kids ran up to me wanting their pictures taken (which I have found these kids LOVE that) then wanted to see the photo.  It is my guess that when they were playing with the camera that some sand got into the lens, which now will not retract, nor will it take photos.

BUMMER!!!!!

I can buy a new camera, this one is insured, but the bother of doing that is almost beyond me today.  And at least I didn't lose my photos (which I have also been downloading to my netbook), so that is good news.  But I SO enjoy sharing photos with all of you.

Sigh .....

1 comment: