Thursday, July 8, 2010

Changes ...

.... they are a happenin'.

Yesterday, Roommate Dana returned to the States.

As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, everyone has their own, personal story as to why they are here, why they applied to this program.  I couldn't begin to guess or understand Dana's reasons (nor could anyone understand mine), but once here, things just didn't seem to be working well for her.

On the surface, Cape Town is a mirror-image of San Francisco.  It looks quite a bit the same, the temperatures are about the same, English is spoken, the sunlight is about the same, and all of those things combined can make one think they are still at home.  But we are not.  Cape Town is a complicated place to understand, and once you get under the surface, it is clear that you are not "home.'

I think it is also difficult having such a big time difference when you are trying to connect to people at home, or you need to resolve issues.  I have found that I can send off a flurry of e-mails during my "day", then have to wait until the next morning for responses because most of you are asleep while I am working.  In our day and age in the US, where communication is almost instantaneous can be frustrating to not be able to communicate in the manner that you are used to.

Sometime in the next few days, I will be getting a new roommate, Sara.  Sara and I have joked that we are the Fellows "bookends" (I am the most senior age-wise, and she is the least senior age-wise) for this year.

I look forward to this new chapter in my Summer of 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment