Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stomach Flu hits the Beluah Lodge

Or food poisoning.  No one is sure.  But whatever it is, half of the Fellows are down for the count.

Over the weekend, we all piled into the Quantum and went to an Equestrian Estate.  Someone knows someone that got us in for a good rate.  The family that owns and operates the Estate also owns and operates a number of bars and clubs, they really know how to put a spread on.  The husband runs the show, the wife is the cook.  As is common here in South Africa, there are MANY people sweeping.

Can I just digress for a moment?  For a country that has as many people sweeping as they do here, trash is EVERYWHERE!!  Piles of it in the townships, orange peels everywhere at the LEAP Schools, trash, trash, trash, yet there are also people sweeping everywhere.  The two tasks do not compute in my head.  If so many people are sweeping .... then how can there be so much trash around?
Anyway, back to the Estate.  We ate, we drank, we sat in the sun, we came home.

Mona was the first to be hit with major stomach distress.  Jamie, Josh, Jen, Subina, Heather, all fell in pretty quick order, then Steve and finally Sara.  All within hours of each other.

Is that food poisoning or just a bad bug?  Who knows, but I am giving all of them a wide berth because I don't want it.  I am thinking that because I got the H1N1 shot before I came here that I am being protected from whatever violent bug they all picked up.

Until this bug is gone, I am hanging out in the conference room, thinking good healthy thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment