Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Straddling two Worlds

I have mentioned how, on the surface, Pinelands could be anywhere in the Bay Area.  The large Old Mutual office building that I can see while I sit on my bed here in the Beulah Lodge (over the treetops and razor sharp fence tops) could easily be in Terra Linda or Walnut Creek.

The large building that houses the new Whole Foods in Novato could just as easily be here (the building, not Whole Foods.  There is not much in the way of organics here, and almost nothing in produce.)

Over the last few days, I have been straddling these two worlds more and more and I start to wrap things up here and begin to get back into life in Novato.

Jim and I needed to figure out some banking issues and at the same time, I was working on getting a NPO (Non-Profit Organization) number for the Iso'Lezwe Clinic.

I got the proofs of Grant's senior pictures emailed to me and at the same time, I gave Adisani my camera so he could take photos of his new soccer team and all of the gear that you all donated to him.  I haven't mentioned Adisani yet.  He is one of the LEAPsa's, studying to be a teacher, and working as a student teacher at LEAP. 

I found a trainer at the gym here that would play ball with me (it is really doing stomach crunches) so that when I get back to Ramon, my abs aren't quite so sore after our first session.

Kitty the Dog seems to have put on some weight while I have been gone, and the dog that lives at the house near Joyce's in Kalkfontein seems to look ever skinnier.

During the day, I see people here that I am sure are from home.  For example, today at lunch I saw my good friend Bob, coming down the stairs in the Old Mutual building.  I was instantly excited to see him, but wait. What is he doing here??  In South Africa??  Well, of COURSE it wasn't him, silly me, and the man looked a little perplexed when I gave him a big HI!! :)  I am continually seeing people that I think I know.

Most of this is probably because I feel as if I am straddling both worlds right now, and truth be known, I am probably starting to lean towards the US side, as I get ready to return, 14 days from today.

No comments:

Post a Comment