Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Gym at old Mutual

This post is directed mostly at people who follow me on this trail, or those of you that are just really into my gym experience.

As my family knows, I was pretty worried before I arrived here, about the gym thing.  I work out at the gym almost every day, and in Novato, I belong to two different gyms.  So the idea of going two months with no working out, well, ok, that was a bad plan.  So I was thrilled to find out there was a gym nearby.

Actually, the gym is four minutes from my bed, if you subtract the time it takes to play with the key and bolt lock on the front gate, which is three minutes all in itself.  But yet again, I digress.



Prior to my arrival, I had no idea as to what this gym was.  I was thinking some sort of little Hotel Gym, where there is, maybe, one old treadmill and a couple of free weights, plus a machine that the Hotel Manager happens to like.

Nope. This is a full-on, fully staffed, fully functional working gym.

Here is the lap pool. Jamie tells me that the pool is cold.  He told me the temperature, but I don't remember what that was, other than, as a person who has swam on competition teams, Jamie thought his pool was cold.  

For what it's worth.

I, of course, am more interested in the spin classes.


Lookie at that!!  A REAL spin studio.  The bikes have clips and everthing, so the fact that I hauled my spin shoes 17,000 miles, well, it certainly makes it worthwhile.









What was interesting about taking these photos ... I asked at the front desk if it was ok for me to take a couple of photos for the folks back home. The front desk trainer had to check, then the manager came down to the front desk, and he walked me around.  He said I couldn't take any photos of the corporate sponsor (whose name is on the front of the building in 12 foot lettering), nor could I take any photos of people.  Nor could I take any photos of the Sports Institute that he works for and who actually owns the gym.

Ok, that's fine.  So he stood behind me and looked into my "preview" of all of the photos, then before I left, asked if he could hold my camera and look at what I took.

I have no idea as to why the high security .... I tried asking that but he wanted to talk more about what sort of weights I was lifting these days, and did I like the spin classes, and maybe I wanted to extend my (cash!!) membership beyond the 60 days that I had bought.

I can't figure out the entire photo thing.  That's something that, I found, Randall can explain to me.  Or Leon. 

Perplexing.

No comments:

Post a Comment