Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Winter Solstice - in June

Yesterday was the Winter Solstice here. On a day on the calendar where I usually observe the longest day of the year, I instead celebrated the shortest day of the year. Being so far south, sunrise is late. This morning, it is 7:03 and still pitch dark outside, even though I can hear the commuter traffic outside on the big road a block away, so the world is starting its daily routine, even though it is still dark out.

I spotted a beautiful bougenvillia yesterday, thinking how odd that it is in full bloom in June, then remembered we are in the dead of winter.

It is also strange to not be preparing for Christmas, or just cleaning up from Christmas as we roll past the Winter Solstice, although I don’t think they celebrate Christmas here. Makes me think how many of our holiday traditions would translate here. Certainly not the wearing of big winter sweaters decked out with Snowmen and Santa scenes. The idea of bringing in a holiday tree into the house in June? Hot toddies in June?

When I get a chance (and the internet is working, HAHAHA!!!!!) I should research Kwanza as a summer holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment