Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Songs of Africa

The other day, I wrote about the LEAPsa's - the graduates of the LEAP schools.  These kids have been doing the orientation for us this week, and going along with us to events and the game yesterday.  They are a great group of kids, mostly 18 - 21, that have overcome adversity and gotten themselves into University.

I have also mentioned that the LEAP students frequently, for reasons that I don't understand, break into song.  Someone tones a note, then before you know it, they all are singing.  And we are talking beautiful voices.  Francis is one of the 2010 Fellows, and originates from Zimbabwe.  I asked Francis about the singing - are the group of kids that we see some sort of special "Show Choir" or something.  He said that no, that you could pick 20 random kids out of the school and have them sing and it would sound this good.

Now, I am not a video-grapher, nor a recording artist, nor any of those professions that does nice video work.  But I AM someone that can hold the "record" button on the camera, and record what I think is beautiful music.

These three videos sound awful on my netbook, but when you play them, I hope they sound as good as they did to me this morning.


AACK!!!! I can't upload the videos ... sorry folks .... bad internet tonight ......

EDITED TO ADD:  here is the link to my photobucket upload .... This is a VERY short clip, not at all what I want to post, but I can't upload a 100 meg file ....

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Darn, I can't view the clip. You know how I would LOVE to experience the wonderful music you are hearing!

    How exciting your trip sounds so far! (Not necessarily comfortable or convenient, but definitely exciting.) I had to smile a little over your fears of not being productive. As IF!

    Hope you are having a great day - or would that be evening? I am too lazy to go look up the time difference right now but will have to later, just out of curiousity.

    Nena
    following your musings with great anticipation

    ReplyDelete