Thursday, June 17, 2010

Why are you going??

Ranking as the #2 question, right behind Are you going to the World Cup?, the question "Why are you going? is asked of me just about every day.

At first, I told a long story about how the Fellowship came to be, starting back when I was born on a dark and stormy November night .... hahaha ... .not really.  But I would tell FAR too much detail, and people would, after 20 words or so, sort of drift off into their own heads. 

Over the last two months, since I was awarded a spot on the Team, I have been trying to figure out the "Elevator Speech" explaining why I am going. An "Elevator Speech" is again that 20 or less words that you can say to someone before they lose interest. I tried different tactics, talking about my work in non-profits, I tried joking about having two teen-aged boys at home would give cause to ANY mom to want to leave the country (Grant and Alex - you both know I am joking, I love you both), I mentioned my being semi-unemployed for the last nine months.  But really?  No one (except for three exact people) really understands why I am going.

Then in my spin class this morning, I was listening to people talk about my leaving.  Everyone had a slightly different version, all hovering around things I had said, and it struck me like a ton of bricks.  Everyone has their own story about why I am going.  In their heads, they have thought about why THEY might go, or thought about a trip they wanted to take, or are vicariously living through my going on this trip, for whatever reason.

And it occurred to me that I really don't need to make people understand why.  That they, in their own way, get it.  It may not be MY reason for going, but people are happy and supportive and understanding.

(gosh, I hope that all made sense)

No comments:

Post a Comment