Tuesday, June 15, 2010

15 pound carryon

Emirates isn't like other airlines, or so it seems.  I guess in order to haul me and all my gear, and 350 other people and their gear to Dubai, they have to put pretty strick weight restrictions on things.  I can bring 2 - 50 pound checked bags, and 1 (!!!!), as in one carryon.  That has to weigh 15 pounds or less.

I just loaded up my computer bag with all of my essential technology, a couple of books, snacks (for the almost 16 hour flight), my wallet, and a change of clothes and toilitries for the night in Dubai. I lifted it up and it can't possibly be less than 20 pounds.

Trying to think it through is difficult because I am leaving from San Francisco (where it is a bit chilly), but I can wear a sweater and socks under my sandals.  Then we get to Dubai, where it is a balmy 105.  But do I want to wear the same thing I have been flying in for 16 hours?  Clothes that cover my elbows and knees, in order to be culturally sensitive?  Then we fly to Cape Town, where today, it is 52 degrees.  So back go on the socks and fleece vest .....

Maybe it will work.  Of course, it HAS to work, no doubt about that.

The GOOD news is that the extra bags I will have - all the donated soccer gear - that gets checked through all the way to Cape Town, so once I get it to SFO, I don't have to deal with it.  Three huge duffel bags so far and stuff still arriving.

No comments:

Post a Comment