Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Summer Garden







This is all very strange.  It is ..... checking the calendar ..... June 13, and I am already pulling out the Calundulas, which under normal circumstances would get yanked around the Fourth of July.








The Cherry Crop of 2010 came and went without us actually getting out there and picking them (an annual Family Event.)  Between the rain last week, which cracked most of them making them inedible, then the crows got the ones in the top of the tree, then all of us being just TOO busy with the end of school to go out and pick ... well, that is a lot of excuses for why the cherries are over-ripe and still on the tree. :)


Here is Kitty the Dog sitting under the tree, looking guilty. She has decided, all of a sudden, that she LIKES cherries.  She is now spending hours sitting under the tree, waiting for the random cherry to drop.

But what really got to me today, as I worked my way around the yard, clippers in hand, is that I have never been away from my Handy Dandy clippers for more than 30 days.  Here at home, they almost live in my hand, and I am NEVER outside without them.  Last week, I wrote to the Host of the B&B we will be staying at and mentioned that I am an avid gardener and will be looking for weeds to pull or rocks to move, or seeds to plant.  He was excited to hear that, but I am not entirely sure that I can go more than 60 days without getting dirt under my fingernails or clipping something.

Jim, if he was home, would laugh at the very idea of me even HAVING clean fingernails.  I rarely do.  Just one of those things when I like to play in the dirt as much as I do.

I bet that B&B owner doesn't have any clue.  Hehehehe ......  I can't WAIT to get my hands into that Cape Town soil.

Now, here is a thought to ponder:::  I wonder if a large plastic bag of my home-grown compost would make it through customs??  Sure would be nice to take some there ....

No comments:

Post a Comment