Monday, June 28, 2010

Catch up

Yesterday, Sunday, was a down day, and we were left to our own devices.

A group of Fellows went to church in the morning, with one of the Leapsa's.  Methodist, perhaps.  Maybe in Langa.  To be honest, I didn't pay close attention. After that, a few more joined the Church Goers and went to Mozoni's (I did a post on that restaurant back in May, the Meat Place.)

Me??  I was at the end of my group rope (anyone from the Fellows that is reading this, no offense, we just have had a LOT of group time.) Monica and I decided to head over to the Canal Walk Mall, listed as the biggest mall in South Africa.  We called a cab, only R170, which is about $8 US.  I spent an entire 5!!!! hours in the mall. My family will be shocked and amazed because 5 hours is more mall time than I have spent, combined, in the last year or so.

I haven't talked much about being in a large group yet.  People that know me know that I am a loner of sorts. My mother once made the comment that when I was very young, I was most happy just laying in my crib, looking around.  That is still the case - I am most happy just observing people from the outside of the group.  I like to watch the interactions between people, watch facial movements, body language, see what is really happening besides the verbal communications that one hears.  One can pick up an incredible amount of information if one just keeps their eyes and ears open.

But we have been in a group, really since I left San Francisco.  Very little alone time, which if any Teach with Africa management are reading this, it is worth thinking about - that some of us need a break in this first week of orientation.  We need to get away, to have time to reflect on our own.

So Monica and I headed to the mall.  I had a short list of things I needed to buy:

>  A clock for our room.  There isn't one, which means that during the night, you either need to go into the bathroom and turn on the light and check your wrist watch, or you need to turn on your cell phone to see the time.  Neither is an easy answer, and I needed to fix that.

>  A notebook.  For some reason, there is NO paper here.  Yesterday, I had to steal paper out of the printer in the office of the house we are living in (yes, really steal it) so I could make some notes. I have found that I can't keep track of the names of the LEAP school staff or the LEAPSA kids.  I need to have them write down their names, then at some future time, maybe connect a photo with that name.

>  A new wireless mini mouse.  Mine won't work and my hands are starting to hurt (carpal tunnel) from just using the netbook keyboard.

>  Chocolate.  I can't imagine that there is any question as to why this is on my list???

Fortunately, I was successful in all avenues of the day - my goal to be not Group Orientated, to get everything on my shopping list (which I did with the exception of the mouse).

And the best part of the day?? I got to spend exactly 18 minutes and 32 seconds on the phone with Jim.

Tomorrow (Monday) is my first real day of "work."  I have meetings planned all day to get my different projects going. I am very excited about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment