Saturday, June 26, 2010

Deb or Debbie

Being in a new place requires that I introduce myself numerous times a day.  The conversation usually goes like this:

(new person and me)

Me:  Hi, I am Deb, what's your name?
Them:  Xiochel
Me:  What a nice name, can you spell that for me?
Them:  Yes,  xxxxx io xxxx l
Me:  thanks, can you write that in my notebook, please?
Them:  Ok  (write, write, write) And what is YOUR name?
Me:  Deb.
Them:  huh??
Me:  Deb.
Them:  huh????
Me:  or some people call me Debbie
Them:  Oh, Debbie.  What a nice name.  I am so pleased to meet you. This is nice.  I will remember that forever.  (and so on)

This conversation has happened enough times that I am just introducing myself as Debbie now, and I cut out all of that middle stuff.  And it made me wonder what the heck this is about?  Is the word "Deb" some sort of obscene word in the Xitsonga language?

Frances, who is one of the 2010 Fellows, hails from Zimbabwe, and is my big resource for South Africa information.  It was Frances that told me that sunglasses are not politically correct to be worn because it doesn't allow people to see your eyes (as in the police.)

So I asked Frances what was up. He wasn't sure, but he thinks that the name "Deb" is just considered too short to be a real name.  Most African names are long and complicated, and the idea that "deb" is a name is silly.  They can catch on to Debbie because it is more melodic and longer.

I am trying to think of who calls me Debbie anymore ..... Jimmy sometimes .... Tom used to until the wedding ... maybe my mother??  Beyond that, not so much any more. 

But here I am on a different continent going back to the name I grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment