Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Old Biscuit Mill Market

Has it been eight weeks already?  Can it be that this is the last weekend that we have here?  I have SOOO much that I still want to do and see, but it is clear on my Outlook calendar that the days are short.

Saturday mornings, all of the Educators work at the LEAP School doing Saturday school.  This is a day that kids from the local communities, plus LEAP school students, can come to the school for extra tutoring and classes.  The line outside the school forms early, well before the 9:00 first bell.

After the teachers got done with their half day of work, some of us women folk decided to go to the Biscuit Mill Market, located .... ummmm .... to the south of us.  The map continues to evade me, but at least I knew what direction we were going in.  The area we were in would be called a poor white community, but has recently been "gentry-fied", or so said the LEAP teacher that offered to drive all of us.

The Old Biscuit Mill complex has a number of regular permanent businesses, plus a weekend Farmers' Market sort of thing.

I have no idea as to the origins of the Mill, I can only assume that biscuits, or maybe even Rusks, were made here.






Inside one of the buildings is the Farmers' Market ...  and for a Saturday afternoon, it wa PACKED!!

Interestingly enough, this Market was not like the markets in Aixe or even in Barcelona, nor even Novato.  There was only one stand that had any sort of fresh veggies.  Everything else was prepared hot foods, olives, cheese, or pastries of some sort.

I hadn't eaten lunch yet (because all of the Fellows leave this week, food at the Beulah is getting scarce, a cheddar cheese/bacon/egg/cream quice sounded really tasty.

The one I bought for R12 ($1.50US) was the top in the back.

Oh, MY!!  That was good.

What I REALLY wanted, though, was the Milk Tart.  Some hussie .... I mean woman .... bought the last one, right in front of me!  She even took cuts in line, then had the audacity to buy the last one!  I LOVE Milk Tarts, after having my first one a couple of weeks ago after having visited Parliment.

To make myself feel better, I also bought (for dinner) a serving of Paella.  This describes it better than I ever could .....












And here are the guys cooking it ....



I have had Paella in Barcolena, and then Jim has made it for us as well, and I have to say, this was pretty darned good.





I still had a couple of gifts to purchase before I head home later this week, including something for Kitty the Dog.  I thought this African Giraffe Baby would be perfect for her ..

Are you used to seeing Table Mountain in the background of ALL of my photos??

1 comment:

  1. Hoping you can help me with the name of a store in Old Biscuit Mill.. It's upstairs on the main street side, about 3 stores from the restrooms. It had a variety of old glassware and plates... but what I'm trying to find is a variety of animal scarves? I looked for a map of the stores in the mill, but unable to find one. Thanks -

    ReplyDelete