Monday, August 23, 2010

Exit ... Stage right ...

I keep pondering how I want to close out this adventure, what wise words I might say to you readers, and those that may follow after me on this trip.  And, surprisingly, nothing comes to mind.  Oh sure, there are some flip quotes I could use, or "inspirational" words, but none of that really seems like the closure that I need to put on this trip.

This morning, I went to my first spin class since I have returned to the States.  I was actually hot, I sweated, I felt good.  Yesterday, I sat in the hot tub at my local gym and felt warm.  The coldness of winter in South Africa is draining away, just like the memories are already becoming faded.

Did I REALLY sit in the dust and dirt of Joyce's front yard, in the informal settlement section of Kalkfontein, and help think through a multi-phase strategy for the Iso'Lezwe Care Givers?  That seems like such a distant memory.

Did I REALLY climb 95% of Lion's Head?

Was I REALLY in Dubai, not once but twice, and was I REALLY on one of the longest available commercial flights in the world?  That being Dubai to San Francisco ...

Did I really eat Snook and Hake?

Was I REALLY so cold at night, in the first few weeks, that I wore just about all of the clothing that I brought with me to bed?

Did I really miss Jim with every ounce of my being, knowing that whatever happens in the future, that I never want to be that far from him or my family again?

Did I REALLY do two interviews on my little Blackberry phone, from South Africa, for a new Director of Finance position that I am finalizing the details on today, and most likely start working at tomorrow?

In looking back through this blog, did I REALLY do all of those assorted posts?

And there is where I think this adventure gets passed along to someone else.  Someone will pick up where I left off and the work will continue.  Someone is going to make sure the NPO paperwork for Iso'Lezwe is registered.  Someone will help Kirstin at LEAP write more proposals.  Someone will help Adisani with the Peace Lovers Football Club.

And while that someone else is doing those things, I will just quietly slip out, behind the curtain, and exit ... stage right ....

No comments:

Post a Comment