Monday, May 24, 2010

Tickets! Dates! Travel plans at last :)

Finally!!!!  I have an itinerary and can start making real plans.

It all came out ok, but not being in charge of making my own reservations has been stressful, to say the least.  We have kids and dogs and cats and a garden, and Jim and the boys will be gone on a Scout trip the same time I am leaving, all to say that people are coming and going (including the house sitter), so not having firm dates was an issue.

But now, real dates and times.

My flight leaves late in the afternoon on the same day that Jim and the boys get off the river. I will miss them by a few hours, alas.  Flying out of my local big international airport, the flight looks like it is 15 hours flight time.  That is enough time to watch an entire season of "Sex and the City", which happens to be loaded on my ipod.  Or I can play Bookworm until my fingers fall off, or I can study an entire section of my CPA study lessons.  What I will probably really do is sleep and chat with the four other Fellows from the program that will be on my flight.

15 hours later we will land in Dubai. Wikipedia says that Dubai International Airport is the largest airport in the world.

Huh.  Guess I will find out because we deboard the plane and spend the night there.  Every plane, from what I understand, makes everyone get off and spend the night.  But this isn't a bad thing because the next morning, we get back on a different plane for the second segment of the flight - Dubai to Cape Town - elapsed time 8 hours.

Note to self to charge up the netbook and the ipod while in the hotel.  Would be a bummer to have my technology go down this early into the trip.


No comments:

Post a Comment