Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Heat? What's heat??

Well.

Today, I attended a meeting with the other MBA's on this project.  Dana, Sabine, and myself.  The content of the meeting is for a different post, but what I walked away with from this meeting was:

South Africa does not have heat in their houses or schools.

!!!!!

Do you, the reader, understand what that means??

Ahem.

Cape Town has a climate very similiar to San Francisco.  During the winter, it is cold and foggy and damp. Daytime temperatures hover around 55 degrees, and nightime temps are in the low 40's. If I compare that to my house here, that means that inside the house, during a regular winter day, it is 63 degrees.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I can do snow and I can do rain and I can do sun.  But what I CAN't do (or at least I don't like to do) is have Cold Sheets.  It makes me cringe to think that I will be climbing into bed every night without Jim OR my electric blanket.  And the sheets will be cold and the house will be cold and I will be cold.

Cold.

Cold.

Cold.

At the risk of oversharing, I don't wear much at night (being 50 and all I tend to be "warm" at night), but this idea of not having any heat puts a different perspective on nightgowns.

Should I bring a heating pad? Should I bring a single-sized electric blanket?  Should I use my valuable number of pounds that my suitcase can be (50 pounds) to use for an electric blanket??  I am not looking foward to the idea of cold sheets. Or cold air.  Or being cold for two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment