Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Catching Up ..

Whew!  THAT was a lot of writing. :)  I felt as if everyone needed to know what has gone on before today. But now we are all caught up and up to date and current.

I have quite a bit of assigned reading to do before I go:

>  Steering by the Stars - Being Young in South Africa, by Mamphela Ramphele
> Nine Times Down, Ten Times Up - a small poetry book published by the 2009 Teach with Africa team with poetry written by students of the LEAP School.
> A "Learner's Workbook" published by the Province of the Eastern Cape Department of Education.  This workbook covers "Life Skills and HIV/AIDS Education."  The workbook is for the Grade 9 level. The South Africa school curriculum includes a daily class in what is called "LO" or "Life Orientation."  We here in the States might call this "Family Life", but the focus on HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention is leaps and bounds different from what would be taught here.  Chapter titles include:

>  Session 2.2:  Me and my Sexuality
>  Session 2.5:  Risk Behaviour
> Session 3.4:  Problem Peers or Peer Problems?
>  Unit 4:  Living positively with HIV and respecting people living with AIDS

In reading over these chapter titles, I can't help but think what the reaction to this publication would be in my own school district.  Just the Session 2.2 title would send rivers of parents to the School Board meetings, there would be boycotts, and drama would reign.  I will be spending time during the days when I am at the LEAP School, sitting in on these classes, and will report back my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment